Pitkin County Landfill Mission Statement and Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Policy
We at the Pitkin County Solid Waste Center seek to conserve our environment and extend the life of our landfill by reducing source generation through public education, appropriately reusing materials through aggregate and compost diversion and sales, and recycling and reusing valuable commodities with state of the art collection programs. We provide safe and ethical material disposal for all other materials with no recycling or reuse value.
In keeping with that mission we are committed to:
- Monitoring and making continuous improvements to our integrated solid waste, employee health and safety, compostable, recyclable and hazardous material disposal programs.
- Establishing rigorous review of the environmental aspects and impacts of our programs and operations to ensure we are in the forefront of our industry when setting and reviewing objectives and targets.
- Minimizing the impacts to the land, water and air by continuously monitoring the effects of our operations and taking corrective actions to correct any situation that may compromise the environment.
- Creating responsive programs to improve the environment.
- Maintaining compliance with all Federal, State and Local environmental laws and regulations. We seek to exceed minimum requirements of our regulating bodies.
- Requiring our employees holding themselves to rigorous ethical standards for site operations and taking ownership of their work on the site.
- Embracing a culture where employees and citizens can be proud of our and their efforts.