We are happy to offer tours to the general public and to primary, high school and college groups. Call 429-2883 or Hilary.Burgess@PitkinCounty.com for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Integrated Waste Management Talks
We are available for talks to particular interest groups or to participate in general community or local environmental events connected to integrated waste management, our recycling and diversion programs or to assist others with such programs. Give us a call at 429-2882 or Cathy.Hall@PitkinCounty.com
PITKIN COUNTY SOLID WASTE CENTER MISSION STATEMENT
We at the Pitkin County Solid Waste Center seek to conserve our environment and extend the life of our landfill by reducing source generation through public education, appropriately reusing materials through aggregate and compost diversion and sales, and recycling and reusing valuable commodities with state of the art collection programs. We provide safe and ethical material disposal for all other materials with no recycling or reuse value.
Pitkin County Landfill Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Policy
We at the Pitkin County Landfill seek to conserve our environment and extend the life of our landfill by reducing waste generation at the source through public education, appropriately reusing materials through aggregate and compost diversion and sales, and by recycling and reusing valuable commodities with state of the art collection programs. We provide safe and ethical material disposal for all other materials with little or no recycling or reuse value.
In keeping with that mission we are committed to:
● Monitoring and making improvements to our integrated solid waste, employee health and safety, educational, compostable, recyclable and hazardous material disposal programs.
● Establishing rigorous review of the environmental aspects and impacts of our programs and operations to ensure we are in the forefront of our industry when setting and reviewing objectives and targets.
● Minimizing the impacts to the land, water and air by monitoring the effects of our operations and taking corrective actions to correct any situation that may compromise the environment.
● Creating new and responsive programs to improve our environment.
● Maintaining compliance with all Federal, State and Local environmental laws and regulations. We seek to exceed minimum requirements of our regulating bodies.
● Requiring our employees holding themselves to rigorous ethical standards for site operations and taking ownership of their work on the site.
● Embracing a culture where employees and citizens can be proud of our and their efforts.